20 Technical things to know before starting your construction process
1. What services should I expect from an architect?
Skilled in the structural design model.
Should be skilled in architect related software programs
Ideally, they should provide a 3D model of a designed and approved blueprint.
Should have efficient engineering ability.
Should have the basic business aptitude
He should have basic networking. This helps during the construction project.
2. Does cement expire?
According to the BIS, the cement should be used within 3 months of its production date.
Its proper expiry, however, depends on the condition of the cement is kept in. Cement, until opened and used, should be kept away from moisture and water.
However, 3 months standard should be used for safety. Using expired cement has its consequences.
3. Avoid honeycomb in the concrete casting.
Honeycomb is a deformity of the surface due to the cement air bubble, an error formed during the manual mixing and concrete casting.
4. What are the factors that matter before choosing a TMT bar?
Standard quality of the TMT bars- as per the international standard. BIS 1786-2008
The right type of grade
Flexibility and bendability
5. Correct the Water-cement ratio to give maximum strength to concrete.
The ratio of water-cement depends on the type of concrete needed. The kind of design and strength requirement.
The percentage differs for M-20, M-25 concrete.
In general, 1:2:4 (M15 concrete) or 1:1.5:3 for M20 concrete is widely used.
6. Where is Hybrid Foundation used?
Skyscrapers and high rise buildings build Hybrid Foundation, as it contains both soils supported mat and piles. This type of foundation helps reduce the settlement amount, which is essential to support such structures.
7. To do steps of concreting process
Steps In Concreting:
Batching: Collection of specific building material at a particular ratio required for making concrete is called batching. This requires cement, coarse aggregate, sand & water
8.Main responsibilities of a construction manager
The responsibilities of a construction manager are
• Cost Estimates
• Pre-purchase of selected materials
• Selection of bidders for bidding phase
• Analysis of proposals
• Construction contract negotiations
• Construction Scheduling and Monitoring
• Cost control of construction
• Construction supervision
9. What is Bursting Reinforcement?
Reinforcement is used to resist the lateral tensile forces when the stress that has trajectories concave towards the line of load.
1. Spalling Reinforcement: The spalling stresses leads to stress behind the loaded area of the anchor blocks. This results in the breaking off of the surface concrete. The most likely causes of such tensions are Poisson`s effects strain interoperability or the stress trajectory shapes.
2. Equilibrium Reinforcements: This type of reinforcements are required where several anchorages exist where the prestressing loads are applied consecutively.
3. Bursting Reinforcements: These kinds of stresses occur when the stress trajectories are concave towards the load line. In order to reduce such tensions, reinforcements in the form of bursting are required.
10. Explain what is flashing?
A type of seal or water resistance barrier is used to cover up and protect the joints of buildings from water penetration.
Commonly used metal for flashing materials are aluminium, copper stainless steel, zinc alloy, and other materials.
11.Why is concrete reinforced with TMT bars?
Concrete is reinforced with the top quality of TMT bars. This is because concrete though is strong against compression alone but has low tensile and ductility.
12. What is grouting, and where is it used in construction?
Grouting, in short, is like a liquid injection of concrete used to fill up the spaces, cracks and voids of structures.
A typical example is the sealing of the gaps between the tiles.
13. Minimum curing period?
In general, a minimum of 7 days are recommended at a temperature above 5º C (40º F). However, the curing period entirely depends on the type, proportion, required strength, ambient weather and method of curing.
It can be as minimum as 3 days if high strength concrete is used significantly above 10º C (50º F).
10 days curing is recommended according to IS 456 – 2000 when mixed with the mineral admixtures.
14. Main causes for poor construction practices:
Improper selection of materials.
Selection of poor quality cheap materials.
Inadequate and improper proportioning of mix constituents of concrete, mortar etc.
Inadequate control on various steps of concrete production such as batching, mixing, transporting, placing, finishing and curing
Construction overloads induced during construction can frequently be more serious than those imposed during service
15. Checklist of Building construction
Steel cutting and Bending
16. The importance of concrete cover.
As its name suggests, the concrete cover is the process of covering the reinforced bars with cement.
This is done for the following reasons.
-To resist the environmental effect on the reinforced bars.
-To provide the concrete with proper support by providing bond strength of tensile and ductility.
17. How to calculate the unit weight of a TMT bar?
The formula is simple,
W= Weight of steel bars
D= Diameter of steel bars in mm
L= Length of bars in the meter
18. Are cantilever balconies safe?
The extended outwards, unsupported balconies are widely used in today’s construction world. These balconies are called cantilever balconies.
The major setback is that they are load limited. That means they become unsafe if the suggested load is exceeded.
The deck structure is weak
The challenge is to keep the moisture away, which eventually damages these balconies.
19. What is guniting?
A popular method used to repair or to stabilize a sloppy area.
A cement gun is used to spray or shoot the 1:3 proportion of cement and sand onto the concrete surface.
It is used for various construction projects like creating caves, building tunnels for rail works, pipelines, underground canal, reservoirs, swimming pools, and artificial waterfalls, where it’s too hard to use the workforce for concreting.
Requires skilled workforce.
20. Construction site safety checklist
Personal protective equipment
Proper arrangements for working at heights
Proper working machines, elimination of faulty ones
Safety of electrical work
General fire safety
Availability of medical kit
Let the experts help you- Reach out for purchase enquiry
Mobile: 9823-61-9167 Mobile: 9607-97-1181
EASY DELIVERY OPTION FOR
GOA, KARNATAKA, MAHARASHTRA, KERALA